Enrolling in a Medical Assistance Program for an individual

Get assistance enrolling in a plan - Visit MNsure.org to get connected with a navigator who can help you determine if you’re eligible and apply.

How to enroll in a UCare Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare plan

The first step for anyone wanting to enroll in a UCare PMAP or MinnesotaCare plan for an individual age 64 or younger is to complete the application for Minnesota Health Care Programs at MNsure.org.

  • You may qualify for Medical Assistance if you are an individual with an annual income around $16,000 (household of one).
  • You’re likely to qualify for MinnesotaCare if you are an individual with an annual income of less than $24,000 (household of one).

Learn more about Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare for individuals

Mother and daughter in grocery store

Here’s what to expect when you apply:


If you haven’t already, you will need to create an account at MNsure.org


Sign into your account and choose to apply with financial assistance.


Fill out the application. You’ll be asked for details about yourself and your household, including your income and whether you have any employer-sponsored insurance.


Review and sign your application electronically.


Once you submit your application, you’ll get a screen that tells you what assistance you’re eligible for.


If you qualify for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you’ll be contacted by the Department of Human Services, your county or your tribal agency to choose a health plan.


At that point, you may be able to request UCare as your health plan for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare coverage.

For more details on this application process, visit MNsure.

Minnesota Health Care Programs

Minnesota also offers health care assistance programs for:

October 2019