Medical Assistance Programs for families and children
Our Minnesota Health Care Programs representatives can answer questions you may have about features of these plans.
Call us at 612-676-3200 or 1-800-203-7225 (TTY: 612-676-6810 or 1-800-688-2534), 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday.
Current Members - Important 2020 Information
Search the Minnesota Health Care Programs List of Covered Drugs (Formulary)
2020 Minnesota Health Care Programs Provider and Pharmacy Directory (PDF)
Question and Answers about Health Care Directives (PDF)
Get the care you and your family need
Families and children meeting income guidelines may qualify for Medical Assistance through the state of Minnesota. The best way to see if you’re eligible is to apply through MNsure.org
Medical Assistance (MA), is Minnesota’s Medicaid program. This program is for people who have income that is less than 135% of the federal poverty level, or about $16,000 annually. The program pays for most of your covered healthcare costs for eligible people in your household.
Most people are responsible for small copays for covered office visits and prescriptions. Medical Assistance health plans like UCare waive the monthly Medicaid Assistance deductible (the amount you must pay before your plan kicks in) which saves you money.
Most people get their Medical Assistance benefits through a health plan like UCare.
UCare offers a Prepaid Medical Assistance Program (PMAP) plan to people eligible for Medical Assistance who live in our 41-county service area. See the map (PDF) for the counties in the service area.
UCare's PMAP Service Area Counties
Lac qui Parle
Lake of the Woods
To enroll in a UCare plan, you will need to apply for Medical Assistance first through MNsure. Then, when you qualify and receive your plan choice letter from the Department of Human Services, you can choose the UCare PMAP plan.
Application and enrollment resources
This stuff is complicated. Get the details on applying and enrolling for families and children before you head over to MNsure.
More about UCare's PMAP plan
In addition to the healthcare services covered by Medical Assistance through the state of Minnesota, UCare plans offer additional incentives and service to help you take charge of your health.
- Up to $20 back on your monthly fitness club fees for adults age 19 and older if you attend frequently* (children age 18 and younger get a fitness kit)
- UCare's Health Ride service, which offers qualified members transportation to and from services covered by UCare
- Access to the UCare Dental Connection, which provides assistance with scheduling dental appointments and coordinating dental services
- Free car seats for eligible children up to age 8
- A large network of health care providers
- Rewards for parents and children who stay up-to-date on check-ups, screening, and shots
- Disease management programs for members with chronic conditions
- A free quit smoking program
- Save up to $200 a month at participating grocery stores with Healthy Savings. Shop and save when you buy select healthy foods including milk, whole-grain bread, lean meat, eggs, yogurt, fruits, vegetables and more.
- Discounts on health and wellness services and alternative medicine practitioners through WholeHealth Living™.
- Up to $15 off most community education classes
- Access to our other great health and wellness programs and tools
*At participating fitness clubs.
Minnesota Health Care Programs
Minnesota also offers health care assistance programs for: