Enrolling in a Medicare plan
UCare plans are people-powered and designed for you.
Need Help? Call 1-888-285-2323 (TTY: 1-800-688-2534), 8 am to 8 pm seven days a week.
UCare plan enrollment options
Current year plans
If you’re new to Medicare and have signed up for Medicare Part A and Part B, you can enroll in a UCare plan today.
Then, during the Annual Election period in the fall, you can keep your UCare plan or choose a different option with UCare.
Next year’s plans
If you’re already enrolled in Medicare or have a plan from a Medicare-approved health care company, you can enroll in a UCare Medicare plan for next year. You’ll have this enrollment opportunity during the Annual Election Period, which runs from October 15 to December 7 each year.
What to expect when you enroll in a UCare plan online
Set up an account.
Our enrollment tool will walk you through it. You’ll need your email address to set up your account. If you don’t have an email address, you can get one at no cost at gmail.com (external link).
Select your Primary Care Provider.
Choose the clinic that will provide your primary care.
Choose your plan using our enrollment tool.
Select the plan you want from the options available in your area. If you haven’t decided on a plan, the tool will show your options and help you compare plans. While selecting a plan, you'll also be able to use our tools to:
– Search the list of drugs (formulary) each plan covers
– Search the network for doctors, specialist and other care providers you visit
Enter your Medicare insurance information.
Enter it just as it appears on your Medicare card. You will also need to answer a few questions.
Choose how you want to pay for your plan.
You can pay in-person or mail a check. You can also set up automatic payments from your checking or savings account, or have them deducted from your Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefit check.
Here’s the information you’ll want to have handy:
- Your email address
- Your Medicare card
- Name of your primary care clinic
- Plan name if you’ve already chosen a plan
- Checking or savings account information to set up automatic payments
Before making an enrollment decision, it is important that you fully understand our benefits and rules. If you have any questions, you can call and speak to a representative.
Understanding the Benefits
- Review the full list of benefits found in the Evidence of Coverage (EOC), especially for those services that you routinely see a doctor.
Visit ucare.org/for-members to view a copy of the EOC or call Customer Services to request a mailed copy.
- Review the provider directory (or ask your doctor) to make sure the doctors you see now are in the network. If they are not listed, it means you will likely have to select a new doctor.
- Review the pharmacy directory to make sure the pharmacy you use for any prescription medicines is in the network. If the pharmacy is not listed, you will likely have to select a new pharmacy for your prescriptions.
Understanding Important Rules
Understanding Important Rules
- In addition to your monthly plan premium, you must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium. This premium is normally taken out of your Social Security check each month.
- Benefits, premiums and/or copayments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year.
- Our plan allows you to see providers outside of our network (non-contracted providers). However, while we will pay for covered services provided by a non-contracted provider, the provider must agree to treat you. Except in an emergency or urgent situations, non-contracted providers may deny care.
You must read this information before you enroll in a UCare Medicare plan.
- UCare Minnesota is an HMO-POS plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in UCare Minnesota depends on contract renewal. UCare Health, Inc. is an HMO-POS plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in UCare Health
depends on contract renewal. EssentiaCare is a PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in EssentiaCare depends on contract renewal.
- Medicare beneficiaries may also enroll through the CMS Medicare Online Enrollment Center located at medicare.gov (external site).
- You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
- This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or copayments/coinsurance may change on January 1 of each year.
This information is available in alternate formats or languages. Please call 1-866-457-7144 (TTY: 1-800-688-2534), 8am to 8 pm, seven days a week, to request this information in other formats or languages.
H0422_Y2459_092718_7_M CMS Accepted (10012018)